In continuing my reading, I came across a chapter on
academic genres or subject area reading.
The author pointed out that it used to be thought that reading is
reading. That if you can read one kind
of text, you can read anything. Most
elementary age children are taught to read by using story text. However there is a colossal difference
between comprehending and retaining story text and informational text. Furthermore, comprehension of informational
text in each individual content field can be very different as well. In the book, Benjamin goes through the kind
of text and language a student is likely to see in each subject area.
Math language is very domain-specific. The terminology cannot be figured out through
context. The student must know
mathematical definitions before reading them in the context of a mathematical
expression or problem. In math reading,
the student will need to read a lot of definitions. Most math writers use a passive voice
structure. For example, “the ball was
thrown” rather than “the pitcher threw the ball”. This is one reason why some students may
struggle when reading math. The active
voice construction is much more accessible: Its meaning is more direct. As teachers we need to understand how to flip
passive voice into active voice in order to effectively teach math. People tend to say, “You don’t read math
text, you work math text”. But it’s
important to read math definitions in order to be able to effectively work math
problems. It’s also important to make
sure the students understand the definitions before they are expected to use
them. It may be a good idea to look at
the homework that is going to be assigned that day to make sure the class
understands the terminology being used.
They need to know what the text is asking them to do.
Reading for business is sort of a cross between reading form
math and reading for social studies.
Business language uses a lot of words that take on a specific meaning,
apart from their vernacular meaning. Benjamin
says that getting used to the jargon is part of domain-specific learning. As novices, we’re tongue-tied, and need a lot
of exposure and examples to acclimate to jargon. I have had two very recent experiences with
this. Firstly, this class has required
learning a lot of new terminology and giving new meanings to many of the words
I had known to have other meanings. Secondly,
I just bought my first house and I struggled a lot with trying to learn all of
the terms that come along with purchasing real estate. Although eventually after hearing the words
multiple times and having to understand the documents I was signing, I finally
felt somewhat literate in real estate terminology.
Benjamin talks a lot about tools and mini-lessons to help
students learn to comprehend the different types of reading material. But one of my favorites is the
flowchart. This is such a good assessment
to check for comprehension because you have to know the material in order to
make a proper flow-chart. This tool can
be used in any subject area and should be taken advantage of.
References
Benjamin, Amy. But I’m Not A Reading Teacher: Strategies for Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas. Larchmont, NY. Eye on Education, 2007
References
Benjamin, Amy. But I’m Not A Reading Teacher: Strategies for Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas. Larchmont, NY. Eye on Education, 2007
Very good description of domain specific language. That explains a lot. I had a keen interest in Geology as a freshman in college and did well in classes and labs but my difficulty with Physics, Math and Chemistry deterred me from continuing in the field. I turned to the humanities instead. I still enjoy reading in a variety of subject areas and exploring new ideas, even topics as foreign to me as Physics Astronomy and Biology. I don’t always understand the topic at first reading but with the aid of contextual clues and an on-line dictionary I’m usually able to discern the meaning. I enjoy the pleasure of finding things out.
ReplyDelete