In continuing the topic of reading strategies, Benjamin had
some great insights into strategies for the reader to use during the reading
process and afterward to help them retain the new information. There is a lot of repetition in this
book. The author seems to reiterate what
she has already said in nearly every chapter.
I can’t help but think this is to help me as the reader of her book to
retain the information that she is presenting.
After all, repetition is key to successful learning. The reader must be engaged, they must have
prior knowledge of the subject in order to make meaningful connections and
learn new information, and there must be a purpose for reading.
It is important during the reading process for the reader to
recognize and be aware of when their concentration and comprehension breaks
down so they can get back on track and repair the gaps in the comprehension. Benjamin discusses meta-reading, which
implies that the reader is thinking about reading and learning. It is also called self-talk. This self-talk is what helps us stay on
track. For example you may say to yourself,
“Wait a minute, I’m not sure I understood that sentence, let me go back and
read it again more slowly this time.”
Another example could be, “Oh there’s that word again. I’m still not sure what it means, maybe by
reading the surrounding sentences, I can figure it out.”

Trouble with comprehension is a common problem caused by
either internal or external factors. An
internal factor would be if the reader doesn’t have the prior knowledge to
understand the new material. In this case,
the reader would need to scaffold in order to understand the text. An external problem would be sensory
interference such as noise, uncomfortable physical conditions or insufficient
light.
It can help a reader
to comprehend a text by recognizing textual pattern clusters. These include:
1.
Narrative and description
2.
Classification, definition, exemplification
3.
Cause and effect, comparison/contrast
4.
Process analysis (sequence)
Reading in the each individual content area has its own
textual pattern cluster. Any kind of
story will be narrative and descriptive, newspaper editorials will have cause
and effect, comparison/contrast, a biology textbook will have classification,
definition, exemplification, and mathematics and foreign language texts will
have process analysis.
In the real world of teaching, we know it doesn’t stop
here. It is important to recognize if a
reader may be struggling with the text and one way we can do this is by
assessing comprehension after the reading.
Post-reading exercises can tell us a lot about whether a student
understands and is retaining the material they have just read. Traditionally this would come in the form of
a quiz or test however the author calls those, “Guess-what-you-have-to-remember
assessment”. She suggests a few wrap-up
activities that could be more beneficial to the students. Having the students write a sentence
expressing the main idea or maybe some supportive details is a good way to
assess comprehension. She stresses the
importance of including some vocabulary in the wrap-up activity and asking them
to make inferences about the reading.
Another good after-reading activity is an out loud question and answer
segment, where the teacher asks the class questions about the reading and then
calls on students to answer. We need to
look for opportunities on a regular basis that allow students to tie their
learning into their own culture. Wrap-up
activities create a link between the known and the new information. I don’t have experience teaching kids yet but
I do teach patient education classes at the hospital I work at, and I always
make it a point to leave a little time for a question and answer segment at the
end of the class. I ask the patients questions
from the material I just presented and call on them to answer. It has proven to be most effective in helping
them to understand and retain what they had just learned.
References
Benjamin, Amy. But I’m Not A Reading Teacher: Strategies for Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas. Larchmont, NY. Eye on Education, 2007
References
Benjamin, Amy. But I’m Not A Reading Teacher: Strategies for Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas. Larchmont, NY. Eye on Education, 2007
Thanks. Helpful information on expanded wrap up activities instead of “Guess-what-you-have-to-remember assessment.”
ReplyDeleteMy book "Reading to Live" also lists comprehension strategies, but the author didn't list a lot of post reading exercises. I like your explanation of internal and external factors of comprehension. I think these are important for teachers to observe in their students.
ReplyDeleteI like that you listed different ways to determine comprehension. I figured a short quiz at the end of the assigned readings/ book would be appropriate, but maybe I'm wrong. Activities seem like a much better idea, and I know I am more likely to retain information if it was learned in a fun way. Maybe a worksheet would be appropriate? I know that it is important to test comprehension, and ensure that assigned reading is being completed, but perhaps it would be best to practice other techniques rather than testing.
ReplyDelete